TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces that the InvenSense ICP-20100, the latest generation of the SmartPressure MEMS Barometric Pressure Sensors, is now in mass production and has been certified by NextNav. Launched in 2021, the NextNav Certified process independently verifies the InvenSense sensor accuracy measurements, by engaging directly with component manufacturers to rigorously test sensors in real world operating scenarios.
- The ICP-20100 ultra-low noise pressure sensor is now in mass production, available from distributors worldwide that carry InvenSense products
- Perfect fit for 3D location services with its ability to accurately measure a height difference as small as 5cm
- Suitable for smartphones, tablets, drones, AR/VR, and smart home appliances
NextNav Certified supports these manufacturers in measuring performance against higher standards, ultimately benefiting wireless phones, wearables, and other devices, providing strong performance assurance for hardware manufacturers utilizing the certified components. The ICP-20100 is the lowest power barometric pressure sensor to receive this certification.
ICP-20100 can operate over wide temperature ranges and deliver measurement accuracies required by a variety of applications including 3D geolocation and emergency location service (E911), mobile indoor/outdoor navigation, sport and fitness activity tracking, and altitude-hold in drones. The sensor enables extended battery life for always-on applications due to its extreme low-power consumption.
“TDK’s first-generation barometric pressure sensor, ICP-10111, was the first to achieve NextNav certified status last year. ICP-20100, our second-generation barometric pressure sensor brings architectural innovation to deliver even higher accuracy at lower power,” said Uday Mudoi, Senior Director of Product Marketing at InvenSense, a TDK Group Company. “The NextNav certification of ICP-20100 assures our customers that TDK’s performance sensing solution will continue to enable smarter systems that deliver the best user experience.”
“Pressure sensor performance is critical to delivering accurate 3D location service for applications such as E911,” said Dan Hight, VP of Business Development and Partnerships at NextNav. “NextNav certification of InvenSense ICP-20100 demonstrates that the sensor performance clears a high bar and offers a solid choice to customers.”
The InvenSense SmartPressure™ Sensors use an innovative capacitive MEMS architecture to deliver industry-leading accuracy, long term drift, temperature stability, and low power consumption. The ICP-20100 device combines a barometric pressure and a temperature sensor in a small 2.0 mm x 2.0 mm x 0.8 mm package. The device enables flexible user designs with multiple input voltage levels including 1.2V, 1.8V, and 3.3V, and a choice of I²C, I3CSM, and SPI interfaces. The ICP-20100 can be configured to achieve ultra-low noise or ultra-low power performance and has the versatility to perform anywhere in-between those thresholds. With ultra-low noise pressure sensing capabilities, the ICP-20100 can detect altitude changes of less than 5 cm.
A comprehensive development kit, DK-20100, and evaluation platform, EV_ICP-20100, are also available along with necessary software to enable quick-to-market development of customer systems. In addition to the ICP-20100, the ICP-10125, ICP-10101, and ICP-10111 pressure sensors are part of the SmartPressure™ Sensor family and are available from distributors worldwide that carry InvenSense products.
- IoT: Internet of Things
- Pa: Pascal
- E911: Enhanced 911 service
- DK: Developer Kit
- MEMS: Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems
- Smartphones, tablets, E911
- Leisure, sports, and fitness activity monitoring for wearable sensors
- Altitude Control of Drones and Flying Toys
- Virtual Reality and Gaming Equipment
- Altimeters and barometers for portable devices
- Indoor/outdoor navigation (dead-reckoning, floor/elevator/step detection)
- Smart home appliances such as robotic vacuum cleaners
Main features and benefits
- Pressure operating range: 30 to 110 kPa
- Pressure sensor temperature coefficient offset: ±0.5 Pa/°C
- I²C, I3CSM, and SPI interface
- FIFO, Interrupt, User configurable ODR/OSR
- RoHS and Green compliant